• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Carb upgrade or not?

rezac

I just rebuilt the 23cc motor and decided to make it a 30.5 with stroker crank from DDM. I am using the stock carb, I haven't had enough time on it yet to really beat on it. I hit my plow truck plow blade and broke a lot of front end parts. Is the stock carb sufficient or should I get an upgraded one? Whats the best choice. I am trying not to spend a lot more money on the TT. I have a really nice FG MT5 on hold for me at the hobby shop so I am trying to put money away to go towards that.

hamster huey

The stock 668 is fine. With the 26 and 23 CCs their is some annoying lag in the bottom of the throttle. But over 26CC the lag isnt annoying IMO. Still there but the car is actually accelerating at a very decent pace compared to 23/26cc. The 813 chokeless carb is smoother but can be annoying to tune. Those are the 2 I have experience with. You can do things to make it smoother and faster too like vstack, longer insulator (AMA,Z), HPI filter, port your current carb, remove 668 choke, get a fast throttle servo, to name a few.

rezac

Cool, I have a new servo in the works when I go buy my new servos for the dual servo setup. I have the 8000 rpm spring installed in it too. Got lots of goodies this past friday. Hopefully my steering knuckles come next week so I can actually get a tank of gas through it. What is a good v-stack and air filter combo? I need this motor to breathe well so it can make gobs of power!

fastlane

Team Driver
Well you'd better buy an 813 carb and a HPI baja stock filter set. Forget the vstack waist of money. The 813 tunes great I have had no issues and I live in humidity hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

scaremonger

hamster huey said:
The stock 668 is fine. With the 26 and 23 CCs their is some annoying lag in the bottom of the throttle. But over 26CC the lag isnt annoying IMO. Still there but the car is actually accelerating at a very decent pace compared to 23/26cc. The 813 chokeless carb is smoother but can be annoying to tune. Those are the 2 I have experience with. You can do things to make it smoother and faster too like vstack, longer insulator (AMA,Z), HPI filter, port your current carb, remove 668 choke, get a fast throttle servo, to name a few.
remove the choke? can you shed some light on this matter huey?

hamster huey

Basically you take the choke out and fill the holes where it was. You have to be careful though because if whatever you filled the hole with gets loose it will be sucked in (and she may or may not spit out). The idea is smoother/faster/more air flow into the engine cuz theres no choke in the way. It can be ported and port matched to the carb a little better too. I would rather buy a 813 and not screw with all that. A 813 and a fast (Im talking better than .15@6v) servo make a huge difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

max 1

813 is the way to go easy tunnig. have them on all my rigs.heha got to play to day,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.