• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Buying an XB-E (HSP King Hornet)

Moondance

Okay,

So I can't get hold of an XB-E in Australia anymore and buying one from Redcat or Amain is not an option (due to the crappy exchange rate) but I can get my hands on an HSP King Hornet.

Now I'm pretty much a total noob to the hobby (I have an Thunder Tiger EB4-G3 that I have used twice in about 4 years) but I do have a powerful charger and but only some 4s Lipos so as I'm looking to run on 6s from the get go, any battery recommendations (preferably for the longest possible run time).

I don't plan to race the car but will be using it in a number of sports fields (lots of grass) so I will be only doing light "bashing". So what I want most from the car is durability, not necessarily speed.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if I could run the car out of the box?

The reason I ask is that having wanted to purchase one for sometime I am aware that parts need to be upgraded to get it running er...better. Given that I'm after durability more than speed, what would you guys suggest in terms of an upgrade path?

One other thing to note is I am also expecting delivery of a Futaba 4pls soon, so would an updated steering and throttle servo be a "from scratch" addition? If so any recommended servo's (preferably ones that will go in without any modifications).

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

RampageHopUps

Since HSP change models for each distributor, its hard for us to tell you what you need. The steering servo may be good from the factory, who knows.

chapinb

As rob said, it's hard to tell due to different manufactures. The steering servo is probably ok, but weak. Bearings would be my next concern. If one goes in the first dozen or so hours of running, replace them all with something quality. Boca bearings are a good source on this side, not sure how shipping is to you. If the tires are the same pin type as redcat, the foams will dissolve quickly and the tires will wear quickly. You'll need adapters to run regular 1/5 scale rims.

It's a good idea to double check all the nuts and bolts from the factory for tightness.

Orherwise, replace what breaks. Over all, it's probably fine with nothing out of the box that need upgrading.

Moondance

chapinb,

Thanks for the tips. Boca does ship internationally and the pricing is good, would this be some thing you would recommend?

In regards to the HPI wheel adapters, I'm guessing these or these would do the trick?

I will definitely check on steering servo's when I get the kit, but given a choice any particular servo's you would recommend?

chapinb

The green seals are what I have been using. No failures with them.

The hitec 5765mh is a near direct drop in, a little dremel work and a few holes drilled on the servo mount is all it takes. Mine burn out fairly quick and I replaced it with a savox 0236. You need to drill mounting holes in the chassis, but I like the savox better. Don't run it without a bec or 2s lipo though. Savox are known to be power hungry and might overload the stock bec.

Still, keep the stock servo and see how it works. It might last for a while without issues.

Phill

Moondance said:
chapinb,Thanks for the tips. Boca does ship internationally and the pricing is good, would this be some thing you would recommend?

In regards to the HPI wheel adapters, I'm guessing these or these would do the trick?

I will definitely check on steering servo's when I get the kit, but given a choice any particular servo's you would recommend?
I replaced my bearings with high speed rubber sealed industrial ones from the local bearing shop.

Work great and cheap.

I have an HSP Bajer which is Redcat Dunerunner and all parts are interchangeable.

Still on stock steering servo after 3 yrs.

Replaced throttle/brake servo about 6 mths ago.

As stated above check ALL nuts and bolts before starting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moondance

I would to thank everyone for the advice :D

One thing I have seen people post about upgrades or changes is: wait till the originals breaks or change the part if you are unhappy with it. I'll give the stock stuff a try and see how I travel.

Probably the only other question I have would be battery choice, looking for 6s (2x3s or 1x6s) with the longest possible run time (not top speed).

Thanks again guys..

Last edited by a moderator:

chapinb

Either configuration works, either 2x3s in series or 6sx2 in paralell. Shoot for 7000 mah or so and buy lipos able to supply 200 or 250 amps.

The stock trays are fairly short, but as long as your not afraid to poke a few holes in the chassis, they are easy to make longer. Anything designed to fit a russler/slash should drop in without modifications as far as width.

Moondance

Okay,

Just an quick update with some questions.

Got the kit a few days ago but have yet to run it. I don't have time now to post pics (will do that a bit later), but just a quick run down on the car.

Pros:

Its huge :)

Full Aluminium front and rear shock towers (no plastic on them)

Full Aluminium front upper top plate

Aluminium servo horn

Cons:

No front body mount

Battery trays are small

No side guards (these)

Now some questions:

1) The battery trays. okay so if I want to run larger Mah or high C rated batteries like say Turnigy nano-techs (like this) or graphene's (like this) then the tray is just not long or wide enough. I have one of these at home and if you position it on it's side (like in the picture) it will fit. Does anyone know any modified trays that I could use?

2) So I already know that if I want to run the HPI wheel rims I need the adapter, but my question is, do the HPI tyres fit on the wheels that come with the car?

Thanks again for all your assistance

chapinb

I have vorza trays in mine. Needs some extra holes drilled in the chassis and some extra hardware -bolts and whatnot. It's wider then stock and will fit most regular sized lipos up to 50mm wide. I do wish I had a wider option though as many large 4s lipos are in the 55-60mm size.

Regular 1/5 tires will not fit redcat rims. Rovan and king motor have cheap sets that are great. Strong enough for most use, long lasting tires.

xboxice

Hi guys i have the HSP King Hornet,owned it nearly 2+ years now and i have no issues with it,i now also have a HPI 5B Flux.

to me racing the hsp feels better as it sits flat never rolls over and its got 4x4 :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts