• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brand new out of box XT will not run

Xyreh

I paid $580 for this lemon. It ran for 10 minutes, followed instructions to a T, contacted redcat, had them walk me through adjusting the carb, still will not start. Has been 2 days of me trying to get it to run. It jumped to life once, engine cranked all the way to max rpms and then died. Have had the truck for 3 days and its a complete waste of my money. I have worked on many other engines and have always gotten them to work. I firmly believe that this truck is defective from the factory and would love it for Redcat to honor the warranty and either fix it, or send out a new one. Will be calling them on Monday because I am out of options. Very disappointed. Its brand spanking new, I should not have these problems.

RampageHopUps

Damn, that's he first I've heard of someone buying a 2 cycle truck and not being able to start it. I'm sure Redcat will fly someone to your house and drop off a new electric one.

RampageHopUps

So when you are ready, we can start helping you. Do you want help or just a refund ?

Xyreh

I would love a new truck. I have heard great things about it, I just believe that this truck is broken straight off the assembly line. If Redcat could give me a new one and take the broken one back that would be phenomenal.

Rampagemt2016

First off you need to understand things do happen lol. Every rc car or truck will have its issues. Redcats are awesome and for the money you cant go wrong. Redcat has outstanding warranty and customer service. Sounds like the carb isn't tuned to me if it revved wide open turn down your idle screw and readjust you high n low needles and I'm sure that truck will run fine. Have you had a 1/5 scale before?. If you don't want the truck I'll buy it and get it running.

RampageHopUps

Xyreh said:
I would love a new truck. I have heard great things about it, I just believe that this truck is broken straight off the assembly line. If Redcat could give me a new one and take the broken one back that would be phenomenal.
Thats not going to happen. So either get over it, or throw out $580 and move to a different hobby. We are here to help you, but you have to want help.

Xyreh

RampageHopUps said:
Thats not going to happen. So either get over it, or throw out $580 and move to a different hobby. We are here to help you, but you have to want help.
I've tuned the carb to exactly the specifications that Billy from redcat customer support told me to and no luck. Maybe I'll take it to a redcat dealer and have them look at it since it will still be under warranty. What should the high and low needle be set to, and the idle screw because the truck hasn't run in days now, and I continually try every day.

Xyreh

Rampagemt2016 said:
First off you need to understand things do happen lol. Every rc car or truck will have its issues. Redcats are awesome and for the money you cant go wrong. Redcat has outstanding warranty and customer service. Sounds like the carb isn't tuned to me if it revved wide open turn down your idle screw and readjust you high n low needles and I'm sure that truck will run fine. Have you had a 1/5 scale before?. If you don't want the truck I'll buy it and get it running.
Its my first as Im just stepping into the hobby. I know my way around motors, just can't get this one to run. Have heard that the little engines are very finicky so any help would be appreciated.

sempaidavid4355

It a motor has fuel, spark and vacuum it will run-period. Start there. Swap out the spark plug!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampagemt2016

yes I agree try a new spark plug. could've flooded it and fouled the plug. a good starting point for you needle settings is 1 1/4 on low and 1 1/2 on the high.

Rampagemt2016

did you check to see if engine is getting spark and gas ? did you mix fuel oil ratio right. take gas cap off could've vapor locked also.

Rampagemt2016

these engines are not finiky to start like nitro cars are. these 2 stroke engine are usually really easy to start. I have a 990 chokeless carb on my rampage mt and it starts within 3 to 4 pulls

Corso

Watch this video, it helped me get sorted when I first got my truck. Follow the needle settings exactly.

Also, read through this thread. You may find some helpful info in there. That was a thread I started when I was setting up my truck. I asked a ton of questions and got a bunch of helpful info.

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=15102

Lastly, don't get frustrated. Think of this stage of your car as part of the fun. When you finally get it running good and broken in properly, then tuned perfectly, you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. I know being that it is a new toy you are super excited and just want to go out and run it, I get it. Take your time, learn the attitude of the motor and when all is dialed in, it will be that much sweeter!

Lots of helpful folks on here. Ask away and someone will likely be able to walk you through anything. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xyreh

Rampagemt2016 said:
did you check to see if engine is getting spark and gas ? did you mix fuel oil ratio right. take gas cap off could've vapor locked also.
Done all these things, 20:1 ratio for breaking in as told by the user manual. Released the pressure in the gas tank. Has spark. I want to say the carb is wacky. Don't know what else to try, anyone have any suggestions?

Corso

Xyreh said:
Done all these things, 20:1 ratio for breaking in as told by the user manual. Released the pressure in the gas tank. Has spark. I want to say the carb is wacky. Don't know what else to try, anyone have any suggestions?
Do a de-flood procedure, install a new NGK plug, re-check that the H&L needles are adjusted properly and try again. Turn your idle up a little bit too. This will help. Keep a flat head screwdriver with you so you can turn it down after it starts.

When first trying to start, don't pull more than 3X with choke on. As soon as you hear that burble where it wants to fire, turn choke off. Then a few quick yanks in rapid succession. No more than 4-5, if she doesn't fire after a few pulls it will flood again.

Xyreh

Corso said:
Do a de-flood procedure, install a new NGK plug, re-check that the H&L needles are adjusted properly and try again. Turn your idle up a little bit too. This will help. Keep a flat head screwdriver with you so you can turn it down after it starts. When first trying to start, don't pull more than 3X with choke on. As soon as you hear that burble where it wants to fire, turn choke off. Then a few quick yanks in rapid succession. No more than 4-5, if she doesn't fire after a few pulls it will flood again.
Okay so got a new spark plug, de flooded the engine. FINALLY GOT IT FIRED UP. Ran it for about half an hour. Shut it off so I could eat lunch, went back out to start it up again and nothing. Why would it do this now?

Corso

Xyreh said:
Okay so got a new spark plug, de flooded the engine. FINALLY GOT IT FIRED UP. Ran it for about half an hour. Shut it off so I could eat lunch, went back out to start it up again and nothing. Why would it do this now?
When you say, "ran it for about a 1/2 hr", was it just idling? If so, the plug is probably fouled. Totally normal due to the rich break-in mixture. Check the plug, clean it off, make sure you're not flooded, and try again.

Once you start driving it, are broken in and giving full throttle bursts, the plugs won't foul, even with the rich mix.

Damebb75

Are the fuel lines hooked up to the carb backwards. The return line could be in the tank just far enough to run for a while.

Xyreh

Corso said:
When you say, "ran it for about a 1/2 hr", was it just idling? If so, the plug is probably fouled. Totally normal due to the rich break-in mixture. Check the plug, clean it off, make sure you're not flooded, and try again. Once you start driving it, are broken in and giving full throttle bursts, the plugs won't foul, even with the rich mix.
Running it a 1/2 throttle to break it in. Figured out the problem though. The fuel tank was not vented properly. The rubber stopper did not have a pinhole in it so poked a tiny hole for it to vent properly and so far no problems. Will check in in the morning when I go to turn it over from a 'super' cold start. Gone through about 6 heat cycles at cycling between idle and half throttle and about 4 cycling between full throttle and idle so I believe it is broken in enough. Will be buying another spark plug in the morning before I run it so I have a clean spark plug and pick up a few spares because they're literally 5 bucks a piece. Running 32:1 ratio now for fuel mixture as instructed by Billy from Redcat. Thanks for all your help guys, we shall see how it goes in the morning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.