• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brakes Holder

DanSpd

Basically after Gear Plate upgrade brakes controller used to tight itself up even with locktite. Solution was simple.

Here is how brake problem was fixed in my tt.

Buy an aluminum tube with hole so brake pins (that hold two metal plates) can fit in.

Then cut two 1/8" and put those on, on the side to the aluminum.

Just see pictures

DanSpd

krashkrieg said:
interesting .....simple temp fix until brake pads wear down then need a readjust...nice one....where'd ya get the small AL tube?
Yea, easy and simple. AL tube was bought at home depot.

lightning73

That is a pretty cool idea, but I still cant help but wonder why it is that several people including myself run into this problem to start off with. I mean what causes these set screws to move around so easily even after using loctite? Anyone have any thoughts?

racetruck

Loctite don't work with plastic to metal contact it only works with metal to metal and the absence of air for Loctite to lock the set screws are to loose in the threded holes

lightning73

racetruck said:
Loctite don't work with plastic to metal contact it only works with metal to metal and the absence of air for Loctite to lock the set screws are to loose in the threded holes
I thought that was the case but I wasnt sure.

DanSpd

lightning73 said:
That is a pretty cool idea, but I still cant help but wonder why it is that several people including myself run into this problem to start off with. I mean what causes these set screws to move around so easily even after using loctite? Anyone have any thoughts?
Possibly something is vibrating higher that it should be. Or something like that, you know what I mean.

Using that aluminum tube could be the best possible solution, and you have to replace it only when replacing brake pads

DanSpd

racetruck said:
Umm I am using loctite and in my case its aluminum to metal (or aluminum).

Still doesn't help.

lightning73

Obeast44 said:
Try some Teflon tape on them, I know thats not what its designed for, but it will help.
I didnt even think of that and I use teflon tape everyday in my line of work.......Duhh!........Thats another good idea tho Obeast thanx!

Last edited by a moderator:

rob64n

Contributor
Ok my turn to help explain. first the reason for set screws to screw in toward brake pads on the new v3 the factory tapped the threads instead of just drilling a hole then putting set screw in, second properties of metal,lol. the reason loctite don't work well with aluminum and steel, you can let the loctite set, but once you go out and run hard you get the heat issue, aluminum will start expanding before the steel which breaks lose your locktite, same reason exhaust bolts tend to still come lose

RampageHopUps

It depends on hwat type of loctite you are talking aobut. Blue is much weaker than red. Blue will weaken and come loose with surrounding heat. Red, on the other hand will need 300+ heat to start weakening. It doens't really give way, just becomes gummy.

DanSpd

RampageHopUps said:
It depends on hwat type of loctite you are talking aobut. Blue is much weaker than red. Blue will weaken and come loose with surrounding heat. Red, on the other hand will need 300+ heat to start weakening. It doens't really give way, just becomes gummy.
That's a good info, never new but will have in mind for future.

lightning73

RampageHopUps said:
Ok so new question, will the red loctite (stronger type) have stronger chemicals in it that will eat away at the plastic threads on the stock part? Ive used the blue kind twice already, and I have heard before that loctite isnt plastic friendly which makes me wonder if its not doing more harm than good by using it in the first place. What do you guys think should the red or blue type "not" be used at all on plastic parts? Or is it ok to use on plastics?

RampageHopUps

The Loctite will not eat the plastic. But, it won't chemically change to threadlocker until you ahve absenxe of air with metal to metal contact. By using it on plastic, you are using it more like a sliurry than a threadlocker. It gums up the threads, not locks them. It would be better to use hotglue in that case.

Or get a longer set screw and use a jam nut with blue loctite on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts