• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Bolt that holds on the clutch holder

Kaz the Minotaur

So I am in the process of tearing my engine down. The single bolt that hols on the clutch shoe holder thing is butter soft. I stripped it on the first try. So I gound a nice slot in it that will fit my large Craftsman screw driver. I also have it soaking in PB Blaster.

MOfroggy

Kaz the Minotaur said:
So I am in the process of tearing my engine down. The single bolt that hols on the clutch shoe holder thing is butter soft. I stripped it on the first try. So I ground a nice slot in it that will fit my large Craftsman screw driver. I also have it soaking in PB Blaster.
I have the same problem. The screws that hold all of the brake housing and all together are crap!!!! I have had to remove 3 of them using the center punch method and I am still fighting one last one. Once I get it out I am going to go to stainless steel screws that are at least as hard as my allen wrench. Maybe someone will come up with a replacement screw set in hardened steel to replace the crap factory screws. I have a couple of local guys ready to pull the trigger on two Rampage Buggy's but I am going to recommend they hold up until some issues like this are resolved. Working on the Rampage is part of the deal I know but not working on it to fix problems caused by low quality sub components supplied by the manufacturers in China.

MOfroggy

Kaz the Minotaur said:
So I am in the process of tearing my engine down. The single bolt that holds on the clutch shoe holder thing is butter soft. I stripped it on the first try. So I ground a nice slot in it that will fit my large Craftsman screw driver. I also have it soaking in PB Blaster.
So when you say you ground a slot in it do you mean that you ground it deep enough so that a screw driver somehow fits? I tried that and using a round cut off wheel in my Dremel left really nothing for the screwdriver to grab. Am I using the wrong technique?

Stuck screws are starting to piss me off.

Sprint 77

Contributor
MOfroggy said:
So when you say you ground a slot in it do you mean that you ground it deep enough so that a screw driver somehow fits? I tried that and using a round cut off wheel in my Dremel left really nothing for the screwdriver to grab. Am I using the wrong technique?
Stuck screws are starting to piss me off.
Well work on airplanes for a living and stuck screws will be normal procedure. It is to late now, but next time put a hex key in the fastener and pop it with a hammer before you try to remove it this helps shake the loctite loose and the corroision build up from dis-similar metal forming and freezing up your fastener. Maybe keep a cut off 3 m m , 4 m m , 5 m m in tool kit just for setting in fastener for smakking with hammer. One good clean crisp pop should do it don't kill it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts