• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Blown head gasket

Sergio

Hi guys about 4 days ago i install a dominator fast pipe to my mt but never got to Run it i did started it on my stand to hear the differenence had it running For maybe 10 min giving it gas just reving the engine and i did the same today getting it ready to Run but the head gasket blew up my question is should i just replace the gasket on the head or should i open the crank case and clean it cause when i put it apart there was no gasket left only pieces or flakes it kind of looks like chrome flakes so im sure some went in the crank case

Thanks

G

If your going fix it, I'd take the few extra steps and open up the crank case.

Sergio

RCDAD said:
If your going fix it, I'd take the few extra steps and open up the crank case.
Yes sir fixing is what i want to do cant affort a new engine now besides i have only use maybe a gallon of fuel on this thing could the fast pipe have anything to do with the gasket blown?

RampageHopUps

You should open the crankcase and clean out the bearings. The chrome plating he's into everything and will continue to grind away at the balls.

The fast pipe would make no difference in a blown head gasket.

Sergio

RampageHopUps said:
You should open the crankcase and clean out the bearings. The chrome plating he's into everything and will continue to grind away at the balls. The fast pipe would make no difference in a blown head gasket.
Anything special i should use to clean it?

Sergio

What a bad luck i have i was taking apart the engine and everything was going fine till i started to take the crank case screws out and they all broke any suggestions?

alfred e numan

Where did the crankcase bolts break off at- Did the heads of the bolts snap off- or did the bolts break off down in the bottom end crank case halves?

alfred e numan

This is how to make working on these engines trouble free. T-27 Bolts. Hex bolts are something left over from the 1950s. Crankcase bolts - HPI part number - 15439. Wide Cap Head Torx Screw. M 5 x 30 MM. Comes in blister pack of 4. Head Bolts - HPI part number - 15438. Same discription. Diffrent lengith.-- M-5 X 20 MM. If you use the 20 MM bolts on a 4 bolt Zenoah jug, you will either have to machine the head o.d. down on the bolts to clear the transfers on the jug. On a HY or Cy- this is not required. Use NO loktite OR washers. If you are near a good mom and pop hardware store- buy the bolts there. On the Hpi branded bolts mentioned above, The underside of the bolt heads are machined to dig into the mating surface they are torqued to. - Hard ware stuff is unknown. This is why i love the venrable Cy-F 270 mill- ALL bolts are T-27.

alfred e numan

Should have said- Allen Head bolts, not Hex Head- what the hell- no ones perfect.

Sergio

alfred e numan said:
Where did the crankcase bolts break off at- Did the heads of the bolts snap off- or did the bolts break off down in the bottom end crank case halves?
The heads broke. I drilled the out made the holes bogger tap them . I hope it works

Fearless

Sergio said:
Thanks i got them out just waiting For the gaskets
I meant to say if u don't mind, but all good man, if u ever need just come over, I got a $hit of lot parts laying around and don't mind at all to give u a hand.

Sergio

Fearless said:
I meant to say if u don't mind, but all good man, if u ever need just come over, I got a $hit of lot parts laying around and don't mind at all to give u a hand.
Thanks dude ill take a ride to the cape when i have the mt ready

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.