• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Black gear cover

MOfroggy

I painted the gear cover on the Rampage. I didn't like the "weak" looking color of the raw plastic. I used a Krylon paint I got at W-mart supposedly made especially for plastic. I don't know if Krylon makes any other colors besides black but that is all that W-mart had at my local. I painted it inside and out. I lightly scratched the surfaces with a ScotchBrite pad to help the paint stick. We will see if it sticks. I will report back.

Mofroggy

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MOfroggy

Me and RIT dye go back a long way.

Back in the old days of the plastics business I made the face guards for football helmets. NFL, College and high school...I pretty much had that market sewed up. We molded them in natural colored nylon and after a couple of law suits figured out that they needed to be "annealed" by boiling them in water for about an hour to relieve the stresses caused by the injection molding process to keep them from breaking. One day one of my employees came by and saw the big kettle of boiling water (this was WAY before OSHA) with all of the face guards in it and said "You know, you could probably dye them different colors with RIT dye". We tried it and it worked. Our sales went up by about 35% because we could offer pretty close to school colors by mixing different color dyes. I gave the employee a $0.25 per hour raise and eventually made him my partner (he is my younger brother by the way!).

I think the plastic for the gear cover is either Polypropolyne or polyethelene and I would be very interested in knowing if anyone has success in dying them with RIT dye.

Mofroggy

P.S. I sold the face mask business to someone dumber than me that had deep pockets with a staff lawyer who convinced them that law suites were not a big thing! They went broke in less than 6 months!

Last edited by a moderator:

RampageHopUps

Yep, I had stain on the floor and the kitchen table. Then I moved out to the front of the house, and now I have a huge stain right in front of the garage door.

Kaz the Minotaur

HAHA. The metal pot that I store my LiPos in is also my dying pot. I'm not allowed to go near any of her other pots for dying. :D

I got yelled at about taking that pot until she found a taller one that was lost in the basement.

I suppose you could dye the gas tank also but then you couldn't see how much fuel you had left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts