• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Maverick Blackout belt drive system

Phill

If you buy the V5 it's pulleys and gears only.
The other one with adjustable ratios comes with a plate but is heaps dearer.
If you're running gears the pin drive ones are heaps better than the square drive but you need to replace the plate and shafts as well as the gears.

Simo

A bit offtopic but I noticed I had lots of play in the bearings and also shafts did move inside bearings. I believe this has been the main reason for stripped gears. I replaced the bearings and did hit few dents with a hammer around the shafts for tighter fit. Now everything feels pretty good, hope gears will last several years (as did the original ones).

smokinzoltar

How much speed do you gain with the belt drive? Do you lose tourque on the low end? I'm very interested in this upgrade, but I want to learn more. I've watched steel cities (I think that's the guy) videos on YouTube and it looks sick as hell! Anyone have a breakdown?

Phill

How much speed do you gain with the belt drive? Do you lose tourque on the low end? I'm very interested in this upgrade, but I want to learn more. I've watched steel cities (I think that's the guy) videos on YouTube and it looks sick as hell! Anyone have a breakdown?

The gearing is 1:1 on the V5 so it depends on what you put it on.
On an MT there will be a big increase in top speed.
On a DR or TT not so much.
Main benefits are no broken gears ,quieter running and less power loss as a result of less friction.

G-Man

Phill hit the nail on the head. The belt is an awesome upgrade. I will say that you will lose low end grunt with stock tires and engine on the Rampage MT. With a strong engine it has no issues spinning tire from a stand still. Phill actually introduced me to the belt a few years back. I got two of them. One for a Rampage MT and one for a Dunerunner. Replacement belts are available in the USA if that's where you are from. Oh and BTW I am Gman from the Youtube channel Steel City RC. Appreciate you checking out my channel brother!!

Redredcat0223

i have wrote him couple times, this year and no reply
I just bought a v5 belt drive a week ago from the German on eBay at stern cnc and just received it in the mail ,it took exactly 1 week to get to me in Arizona,I just kept checking eBay and about 2weeks ago I seen one on there but I just bought it because G-man had already said in these and other threads which one to get ,the v5 and it works with all the rampages cause I’m putting it on my XT ,but it will work and it looks amazing ,I’m just waiting for a new aluminum gear plate and bigger bearings and aluminum center diff mounts to come in the mail,shit my belt drive from Germany got delivered quicker for real,but it’s gonna freakin rip when I’m done ,can’t wait,but just keep checking eBay real fast everyday or everyother day because he still sells one here and there and they are definitely worth it!!

Redredcat0223

I was trying to ask about availability of 1:44 ratio for MT, which would match with the stock gears. There are multiple ger ratios available at least for Reely: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zahnscheibe...hash=item232ed029ae:m:mIsfkB7WksQlIuZh_JX9SyA
I got ya,I know that that carbon fighter v4 has a different inside diameter that goes onto the shaft that’s why everybody buys the v5,you prob know that already though,I know the 1:1 I’m using works just fine especially if you have a good aftermarket pipe and clutch and then down the road spend a few hundred bucks on an aftermarket engine and your golden lol.

Simo

That's good to know, I have been worried 1:1 ratio would be too much for stock (32cc) engine. I have tuned pipe (DDM) though, which increases power a lot. Also sintered clutch with 8k rpm spring helps, but might have been at least partial reason for stripped gears :rolleyes:

Trying to maintain stock engine while it lasts...

Redredcat0223

That's good to know, I have been worried 1:1 ratio would be too much for stock (32cc) engine. I have tuned pipe (DDM) though, which increases power a lot. Also sintered clutch with 8k rpm spring helps, but might have been at least partial reason for stripped gears :rolleyes:
Ya you should be good I have the xt with the stock 30cc motor but my motor has always ran a little better but I have the same pipe and clutch and have a velocity stack and tgi high flow air filter and a walbro 668 carb and it runs but even g-man on here has the same truck as you and his ran fine before he swapped the motor and line I said if it’s not enough just throw a zenoah g320 in it ,you can find them on deals sometimes for $250 and just be done with the thing,your carb and pipe will mount up too,I’m putting mine back together within the next 2 weeks ,waiting on a lot of aluminum parts that are coming but I will hit you back and let you know how mine runs but I’ve talked to a few people who have the belts and they all said as long as our clutch and pipe is good it will run fine!!

RampageCrazy26cc

I just bought a v5 belt drive a week ago from the German on eBay at stern cnc and just received it in the mail ,it took exactly 1 week to get to me in Arizona,I just kept checking eBay and about 2weeks ago I seen one on there but I just bought it because G-man had already said in these and other threads which one to get ,the v5 and it works with all the rampages cause I’m putting it on my XT ,but it will work and it looks amazing ,I’m just waiting for a new aluminum gear plate and bigger bearings and aluminum center diff mounts to come in the mail,shit my belt drive from Germany got delivered quicker for real,but it’s gonna freakin rip when I’m done ,can’t wait,but just keep checking eBay real fast everyday or everyother day because he still sells one here and there and they are definitely worth it!!

are you talking about this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Belt-Drive...555988?hash=item259b325114:g:HOgAAMXQs~ZRloiO

i have an the rampage mt with the square drive system would it work on those shafts

Redredcat0223

Yup and your shafts are round,the gear has a square piece attached to it and thiers one or two square blocks with set screws but your shafts itself are round

G-Man

This video goes through pretty much how that belt system takes the place of the gear set. LOL I am not the most camera friendly so work with me on this one.. Check it out if ya get a minute.

RampageCrazy26cc

This video goes through pretty much how that belt system takes the place of the gear set. LOL I am not the most camera friendly so work with me on this one.. Check it out if ya get a minute.

yea i have watched that video, im the guy that was talking to you in the comments. about haveing bought my rampage in 2011

G-Man

yea i have watched that video, im the guy that was talking to you in the comments. about haveing bought my rampage in 2011
Oh ok. Now I remember. Good to see ya on here. Dude I need a firecracker under my ass. I seemed to have lost interest in RC. My Rampage MT has been sitting a month. I need to see why my center diff is noisy. Plus parts everywhere lol. I am an auto mechanic so I get burned out working on stuff all the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.