• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Backdraft 8e

pipeous

Got mine today. No pics yet. I passed the controller around and a bunch of people took it for a rip. It even hit my step ladder lol. It's plenty fast, decent radio. I just pluged in the battery and turned on the radio right from the box and ran it, then put some juice in the lipos after.

I can't wait to dig into this buggy. I'll custom tailor a few things to my liking but this buggy is light man. There was a Hot bodies conversion running on 3s and it weighed more.

I think there ended up being 3 or 4 guys wanting one now as well, if not the buggy then the SC truck. I'll be getting one of those as well from Vancouver Hobbies. I can see this being a competitive buggy.

If I had to complain it would be the weak front arms. they flex too much. I'll shim some stuff up, maybe add some carbon here and there, make a brace or 2 ...

hamster huey

Ive tried it w/ 2s 3,201kv and 3s stock motor and 4s stock motor. My favorite setup is stock everything but w/ 30 series badlands/12mm wheels and earthquake 12mm wheel hexes. Its a ton of fun. My favorite between the aftershock, backdraft and earthquake by far.My aftertershock is fun but the body makes it super squirrely, probabaly aerodynamics or air getting caught uner it making it floaty. I tried running it w/o a body and it stuck like glue. As soon as I put the body on its squrrely again. I tried cutting areas to let air out but it didnt work so maybe needing to try a manta body or something.The picture shows the wheels, tires, and front arm braces.

100_1724.jpg

100_1725.jpg

/monthly_2010_08/100_1724.jpg.629a24a833cc62ffb2c7dc43d9cd8ee6.jpg

/monthly_2010_08/100_1725.jpg.5cae4cd9ad608c3f2a2713f23771ec90.jpg

DanSpd

hamster huey said:
Ive tried it w/ 2s 3,201kv and 3s stock motor and 4s stock motor. My favorite setup is stock everything but w/ 30 series badlands/12mm wheels and earthquake 12mm wheel hexes. Its a ton of fun. My favorite between the aftershock, backdraft and earthquake by far.
My aftertershock is fun but the body makes it super squirrely, probabaly aerodynamics or air getting caught uner it making it floaty. I tried running it w/o a body and it stuck like glue. As soon as I put the body on its squrrely again. I tried cutting areas to let air out but it didnt work so maybe needing to try a manta body or something.

The picture shows the wheels, tires, and front arm braces.
Looking good. What batteries and charger you use? What run times you get?

pipeous

I just ordered the braces from the mt, all the alloy parts for the hubs and crap, extra arms a plastic and alloy tower, ... I am going to swing by golden horizon and leave a pair of front and rear arms for them to come up with something.

I want to race this buggy. I shimmed up the wheel hexes today, the servo saver and the knuckle pivots. it's got much less slop. I know the braces help but there's still a lot of flex. we'll see. I am going to run it stock first except change the dif and shock oils.

the brakes are pretty intense. have to look into the manual further and see if I can't somehow turn them down a tad. I could just use another radio but where's the fun in that?

pipeous

I like the layout with the dual 2s packs in a saddle config. it's actually quite well balanced. it's easy though to flip the mount and run the motor in the "traditional" location.

overall I really like the buggy. it's very light and the undertray seals up close to the body. I love the built in wire retainers, cvd's front and rear stock, threaded plastic body shocks with aluminum hardware, tires are actually decent

DSCI0001.jpg

DSCI0002.jpg

DSCI0003.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

pipeous

I think next mod is to put velcro straps in. I just happen to have 2 with the buckle sitting here so why not. easier than fighting those tiny body clips

DSCI0006.jpg

hamster huey

I was happy upgrading the springs stiffer. I got a box of rc8 stuff off ebay and their were some skinny bore (pre big bore RC8) springs in there. I tried white fronts, white rears, and grey rears. They worked great.

I have all the aluminum hopups too. Stiffer, stonger, less flex, but I don't break any less parts with them, they are a little heavier, and only madew made me a slightly better driver.

pipeous

I can't wait. Next month we start the indoor racing. I should have my sc truck by then too. I just need to find a set of Mugen front shock bodies now. I have extra shock shafts and such. Some springs will be good too. I might try cutting the set of reds I have down a touch. Front was a bit light for these reds and they are a tad too long so the arms were above level with no pre load spacers...

I got the shocks from the race director. $25 for front and rear shocks, 4 extra front shafts, 2 extra rears, a bag of bladders, extra pistons. killer deal. going to cost more for the mugen shock bodies I need.

smoedog

Contributor
how competitive you think that thing is on 2s? I want to get the aftershock to race in the local 4wd s/c scene but they only allow 2s. so im wondering if it can be regeared to keep up with the vxl's and some of the 4.5 and 5.5 setups

pipeous

I'll be running on 4s. the club doesn't mind if I run the sc on 4s either. track is tight so the power won't be an issue. you could swap to a 5700 kv motor or something to run on 2s, but I would talk to the powers that be about running it in stock form... you might get the same response as I did "you want to run a redcat? umm ok, ya it's fine running it stock". they don't think it will be competitive.. we'll see about that. we have 2 guys going to be racing redcats so far, and I feel after a few races there will be more. the indoor track is going to be a permanent facility so we have had to wait. all the T's have been crossed and building is starting. should be very soon that we race. I bought different batteries so I have a couple sets for each rc and a charger that does up to 5 2s lipos at once. my buggy sits on the shelf all clean and pretty, I hate shelf queens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts