• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum Suspension Arms

kydo32

I broke my rear upper arm and all that is holding it is krazy glue and tie strip lol I have all 4 upper aluminum arms came with truck my question is if I was to put upper arms on and leave plastic on the lower ones would it make the plastic parts and lower arms weaker? or should I order another plastiic one till get the money for aluminum lowers

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

They'll be fine. Going full aluminum in the suspension area is generally a bad idea. You need some flexibility to absorb impacts, otherwise it'll transfer the shock to the next weakest part, which would be the diff case. Plastic is better than aluminum, in this case.

Silent_chaos

Deluge said:
They'll be fine. Going full aluminum in the suspension area is generally a bad idea. You need some flexibility to absorb impacts, otherwise it'll transfer the shock to the next weakest part, which would be the diff case. Plastic is better than aluminum, in this case.
There will always be a weaker area in which the shock will be transferred to. Even if the truck is 100% 7075-T6, the 0.01% impurities of the material will be the cause of failure in that area.

My xb is full aluminum now, chassis, diff, upper links, everything apart from the lower suspensiom arms, you can see that the arms are wobbling at corners which makes the car not much stable, they're the weakest link.

I plan on upgrading the lower arms as well; look at it as if it's a commercial airplane, those planes take a lot of shocks from winds and high speed friction and yet they rarely rarely fail. Their wings shake a lot (they're made of 7075t6).

Point is, when you make your truck bullet proof, the shock will eventually be absorbed by the material and not fail.

rcgasser

Its better to have your suspension the arms in plastic to adsorb shock as stated when you start running suspension in aluminum you run a greater chance of breaking plastic parts somewhere from the transfer shock or if you bend the arms which is not very hard to do then you are worst off because you can not run the car and it cost more to replace the aluminum the it will the plastic a arms and be back up and running. Aluminium is great for your diffs, links, chubs. Lot of less headache with plastic arms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online