• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum Roll Cage keeps snapping under normal driving

pfrederi1

Does anyone knpow how to reinforce the aluminum roll cage? It keeps snapping in the same area. this the 3rd one in like 3-4mons. Its a weak point. And i havent been doing any major jumps or anything like that. The first one that broke i did a couple small jumps but it seems like the slightest firm bump this thing gets it snaps. Kinda defeats the purpose of the rollcage if the rollcage itself is weak lol.

I wonder if that guy (Ol fart) thats making the reinforced chassis can make a reinforced maybe steel roll cage (or that might be too heavy).

20180905_114347.jpg

Phill

The plastic one will last a lot longer as it "gives" rather than breaks.
That's why I've never replaced mine with alloy.
Same goes for front A arms.

pfrederi1

yeah but it just doesn't look as shiny you know, LOL!!

I think i read somewhere that i can probably weld it back using one of those heat guns or something. Kinda like a solder. if i did that i would have to make sure its stronger than it was before by maybe applying aluminum to that section and then drilling out my holes. Dnt know if anyone else has done this. Just spitballin here.

Thx

G-Man

Chassis flex makes them break. The cage looks awesome, but in reality is a piece of junk. Why it is screwed together is beyond me. It always breaks where they notched the cage and put screws. I was thinking about stripping the blue off to try some of those aluminum braising rods at Harbor Freight for the weak spots. In order for those braising rods to work the cage has to be down to bare metal in those areas at least, may be able to find a paint close in color for touch up. Not sure how it will hold up though, it really need welded.The one made for the Dunerunner is welded no screws and is very reliable in a roll over.

pfrederi1

Hey GMan. yeah thats what i remember was that the aluminum cage can be braised and reinforced or welded with aluminum rods. Ill look into that so I dnt have to keep buying roll cages and possibly fix the ones i have and make them stronger. If you find out anymore info let me know man. Appreciate it.

That would be nice if they would just weld it. But theres no money in that i guess. i might even try and weld it myself (all the joints) as a side project if i ever get anymore spare time.

Thx

G-Man

I am in the process of redesigning this broken cage to suite my brushless project. Moving the two uprights forward for battery tray clearance. Going to braise them on with those aluminum braising rods Harbor Freight sells. Have to strip the blue off first. 20180910_232032.jpg

pfrederi1

K. Let me know how that works out for you. What heating source will you be using? Are the portable torches good and\or hot enough to use for a good joint weld? If so which one will you recommend i get?

And why electric Lol!!! I switched from electric and never looked back. They both have pros and cons. I guess its all personal preference.

Thx

G-Man

K. Let me know how that works out for you. What heating source will you be using? Are the portable torches good and\or hot enough to use for a good joint weld? If so which one will you recommend i get?

And why electric Lol!!! I switched from electric and never looked back. They both have pros and cons. I guess its all personal preference.

Thx
I am going to use a self igniting Mapp gas torch. I do have oxy/acetylene torches too. I think the Mapp will have the correct temp needed to do it.
Oh and the electric thing, I have a MT gasser too. I got this roller for $200. Couldn't pass it up.

Browndogjr3

I have tried the aluminum rods from Harbor Frieght on an aluminum boat and did not have much luck. The best thing would be to find a shop that can mig weld them for you.

pfrederi1

Thanks appreciate the input. at least now i have a couple different options to try.

I put some stiff foam where the cage lock pins go in the contact points because there was a lot of play and the cage would rattle. So now theres no play and the foam also acts to absorb some of the shock. Seems to be a lil quick fix. I know its not a fix but seems to be working so far but then again i have not drove that much lately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online