• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum gas cap?

lightning73

pipeous said:
this thread got me thinking. I have fg, nutech and redcat 5th's sitting here so tried mixing and matching gas caps. the redcat has it's own thread pattern. the redcat cap will fit loosely on the fg but not vs vs
That being said, you would think Redcat would have long since offered us a few alloy options to go with our Beasts. Now that I really think about it its kinda unusual that they havent. I mean come on who doesn't like a nice blingin gas cap...lol

lightning73

I never even knew Redcat had them till Rob64 mentioned they were coming out on the new XT. Where did you get the ones you have forist?

Jeebus

Got it in the mail today, and it left to get shipped back today!

0ba840bd.jpg

c2dbab8a.jpg

d09c0ca0.jpg

lightning73

Jeebus said:
Got it in the mail today, and it left to get shipped back today!
c2dbab8a.jpg

Cool its done already! Thanks Taylor I greatly appreciate you doing this for me. I really liked that gas cap when I saw it, never realizing that it wasnt gonna fit. You have just kept me from wasting my money, without even costing me money, by doing this for free! Thanks again man was a cool gesture.... :)

Jeebus

Its no problem man, I have a full 9min invested into it. Even at my shop rate, thats only 8.66$ of labor hahaha.

Taylor

Yannik

Ha Darn it,

I did the same frigin thing, I just bought and received by mail today a Blue DDM Billet Gas Cap for HPI Baja: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4507/.f ......Honestly, I'm really dispointed, I tought most Baja part were fiting on the Rampage! Well, I guess I'll be way more carefull next time.

Jeebus: I've heard you can machine this part, would you be willing to do mine if it's possible? Let me know? :D

Thanks,

Yannik

Jeebus

Send it over, with full return postage.

Michigan Metal Works

Attn: Taylor Jardas

25 S. Westlawn DR

Midland, MI 48640

Yannik

Great, thanks a lot! Do you mind if I send the gas cap on Monday? Also, do you need my other gas cap (stock)? I've seen a picture of one gas cap that you've done, a bit of paint came out...did it happened when you took the thread out?

Thanks again by the way, I trully appreciate your help! :D

Yannik

Jeebus

Yes, i would need you to send your stock gas cap as well.

On the aluminum gas caps if they are anodized a color, when i trim off the excess plastic stock cap, you will have a small area on the lower side of your gas cap that will have some of the anodizing removed and raw aluminum will show. This is because the stock gas caps do not spin true, and have a slight wobble to them regardless of how it setup in the machine, they must be a very cheep IMP and thats just how they are. there is really no way to avoid it, unless you want .1875" of plastic gas cap sticking out below your pretty aluminum one, which looks awfull.

lightning73

Yannik said:
Great, thanks a lot! Do you mind if I send the gas cap on Monday? Also, do you need my other gas cap (stock)? I've seen a picture of one gas cap that you've done, a bit of paint came out...did it happened when you took the thread out?
Thanks again by the way, I trully appreciate your help! :D

Yannik
That area is on the bottom of the cap Yannik and cant be seen when the cap is on the tank so its not a problem anyhow... ;)

Yannik

Jeebus: Great, not a prob! I was just curious if it was there by mistake or on purpose. Like you said Lightning, you can't really see it. Is the inside cap glued or it's just really tight?

Jeebus: I will send you both cap Monday!

Thanks

lightning73

chevy said:
ok let me know when you put the grommet in if it fits good because i never really bought the whole kit just the brass fitting and clamps if it fits im gonna see if i can get the grommet and use that, also make sure when you put the clunk on or filter that sits at the bottom of the tank use one of the clamps because mine fell off then i used the clamp and its not a problem i think it fell off because i use a brass clunk that i drilled out the center for more fuel flow but the clunk is heavy so it fell off then i had a fuel line fall off the fuel filter then i decided to use the clamps on all the ends of the fuel line and they worked well!! also the white plastic check valve is the exact same check valve that is used on all the echo power equiptment so if it gets clogged or broken you can get a new one at your local lawn/turf repair shop.
Hey chevy, I got my gas cap back on monday so I finally got around to installing the grommet from the snappy kit. I wasnt sure if you still needed the info but here it is. The grommet is not the same design as the Redcat one, but it does fit! The Redcat one has the collar on it where the gas tank lip fits snuggly into it. The grommet from the snappy kit does not have the same collar its wider, so the tank lip doesn't fit into it. However it does still work... :) ...Its not fun trying to get it to fit, but it will go eventually with some patience. I found once I finally got it installed, it fits so tight that there were no leaks at all. I even held the truck upside down for a while to be sure, and there wasnt so much as a drop of fuel spilled. Once I was sure there were no fuel leaks I tried priming the carb. Success! it primed right up with no problem which means no air leaks either... :) ...I now have a nice clean organized fuel line setup and it looks great!

lightning73

Ok here are a couple pics!

Sorry it took so long to get them posted, my internet connection is having a fit today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.