• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum gas cap?

jeffp83

Hey guys... was wondering if any of the aftermarket aluminum gas caps for the Baja 5B fit on the redcat rampage mt? Blur racing has a real nice one for the baja i'd like to get but not sure if they will fit. Thanks!

lightning73

I just recently bought one of these gas caps for my MT but its for the baja.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2602/.f

I "assumed" that all gas tanks had universal threads for the gas caps. I guess I wasted my money on this baja cap.

I also bought this Snappy RC fuel line kit, again I was "assuming" that all gas tanks had universal grommets in them for the fuel lines. Is this gonna fit or did I buy 2 useless products for my MT?

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.6470/.f

Last edited by a moderator:

lightning73

Anyone wanna buy a blue skull and crossbone gas cap for a baja?...lol...I guess thats what I get for assuming... :rolleyes: .

Jeebus

Im suprised nobody makes one that fits the redcats yet...

I had assumed that all the gas tank threads were the same, but i was horrrably wrong.

I machined mine to fit, it looks good, and fits like a glove!

57f997f4.jpg

lightning73

Gas cap looks good Jeebus! Man them pro models look good naked...lol...I got my cap in the mail yesterday, and like hobbykim had previously mentioned the baja cap is too large to fit the Redcat tanks. Is that a baja cap Jeebus? And if so what kind of machining was done to make it fit cause it looks great on there!

Jeebus

yea, the one i purchased was one intended for an HPI unit. I threw it in one of the manual lathes at the shop and took about 130k off the inside of it. Then it was a "Press" fit on the stock cap. I decided i watned to epoxy the aluminum cap to the stock one as well so i knew it wouldnt come off at any time.

btw, its an easy thing to do. if anyone wants one, just send me an HPI cap and a stock gas cap and ill have someone in the shop do it, and send it back to you. Just pay shipping both ways.

Taylor

Jeebus

just sent ya the info.

If anyone else needs this done, just send me your two caps, with a pre-paid return postage, and ill bore them, and drop them in place and send them back.

Taylor

chevy

nice jeebus thats a good solution to this problem! lightning the snappy fuel line kit?? did you recieve it yet?? if so did the rubber gas tank grommet fit??? I just picked up the brass fittings and the little clamps and got the tygon fueline at the hobby store and when i went to put the brass fitting into the stock gas tank grommet they were very loose so what i did was just slide some fueline over the brass fitting where they go into the gas tank grommet, that made it real tight so no gas leaked!

lightning73

Yeah Chevy, I got the snappy kit in the mail along with my new cap. I havent installed it yet though to see if it fits. It does look to have the same outside diameter as the grommet on my MT. It should fit unless the inside diameter of the grommets are different.

chevy

ok let me know when you put the grommet in if it fits good because i never really bought the whole kit just the brass fitting and clamps if it fits im gonna see if i can get the grommet and use that, also make sure when you put the clunk on or filter that sits at the bottom of the tank use one of the clamps because mine fell off then i used the clamp and its not a problem i think it fell off because i use a brass clunk that i drilled out the center for more fuel flow but the clunk is heavy so it fell off then i had a fuel line fall off the fuel filter then i decided to use the clamps on all the ends of the fuel line and they worked well!! also the white plastic check valve is the exact same check valve that is used on all the echo power equiptment so if it gets clogged or broken you can get a new one at your local lawn/turf repair shop.

lightning73

Cool man thanks for all the tips. I will definately let you know how it fits when I finally install it... :)

chevy

I was thinking if you epoxy the billet gas cap over the stock one it will keep the gas tank from venting, lightining you wont have to worry about vapor lock since you have the snappy kit??

chevy

If you epoxy the billet gas cap over the stock one it will keep the gas tank from venting, lightining you wont have to worry about vapor lock since you have the snappy kit?? i like using the brass clunk because it stay's right down in low area of the tank here a few pictures of my clunk and fuel vent with the clamps.

lightning73

Yep, Thats the reason why I bought the snappy kit I liked how it eliminates the need for venting thru the gas cap. Im not a big fan on the tube coming out of the cap, it just doesn't look right. And like you said chevy the baja cap mod Taylor is doing for me wont be affected. In fact im still gonna tap out the vent hole in the original cap and put a set screw in it to be sure its sealed up tight.

chevy

thats what i thought, i don't like the fuel tubing coming out the cap either!! it get's in the way when you go to open the cap, thats why i want to get the grommet so i can have my vent more hidden, i heard the new xt coming out comes stock with a billet cap that'll fit the rampage i might wait for one of those!!

pipeous

this thread got me thinking. I have fg, nutech and redcat 5th's sitting here so tried mixing and matching gas caps. the redcat has it's own thread pattern. the redcat cap will fit loosely on the fg but not vs vs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.