• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Alternative Throttle/Brake Setup

DemonRC

I rearranged my linkages a few weeks back and figured I share my setup since it's been working great. I installed both linkages on the same side of the horn. All you have to do on the brakes is move the linkage to the outside of the brake shaft so that it pulls to engage the brake. DO NOT keep the linkage on the inside of the shaft because the cam will engage the inside of the brake pad and the sharp edges of the pad (on the inside) will gouge your discs. Also, the Rampage has always has really strong braking. It doesn't take a high end servo to slam on the brakes. I ended up epoxying 3 brake discs together as a single brake disc and removing one of the brake pads. The braking is much smoother now and still has enough grab to lock if you want it to.

lightning73

Good thinking Demon! What a great way to make the brakes more efficient nicely done... :)

Obeast44

Banned
I just did something like that to my XB, to clear the Baja Filter. Which on another note, it fits but does have a slight rub on the windshield. I used a spare Baja linkage I had laying around. I will get pics of mine up after I finish my dinner. I will need to address the the brake pad issue that DemonRC mentioned but the linkage is pretty much done and it clears the Baja filter just fine.

XB005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonRC

I actually used the same diameter rod but grabbed some really stiff stuff from the LHS. It just has fuel tubing over it with some collars for cosmetics.

Oh hey Obeast. Our setup is almost identical. I ran my brake cam linkage on the inside like you did at first untill I saw that the discs were slightly gouged. After switching it to the outside it grabbed better and didn't damage the discs. Oh I forgot to mention that I have a 1/4 small aluminum non threaded spacer between the servo horn and throttle linkage so that the z bend on the brake linage doesn't bind with the plastic piece that hold the throttle rod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
DemonRC said:
Oh I forgot to mention that I have a 1/4 small aluminum non threaded spacer between the servo horn and throttle linkage so that the z bend on the brake linage doesn't bind with the plastic piece that hold the throttle rod.
Im probably going to revise the linkage a little and ditch the Z bend altogether and run a plastic piece on the top and bottom of the servo horn. As far as the discs go I may just put an ever so slight bend on the pads so they aren't so "catchy" on the discs. Hopefully if all goes well, I can get all that handled this Friday when I am installing a few new parts! :D

pantherrilla

I rearranged my linkages a few weeks back and figured I share my setup since it's been working great. I installed both linkages on the same side of the horn. All you have to do on the brakes is move the linkage to the outside of the brake shaft so that it pulls to engage the brake. DO NOT keep the linkage on the inside of the shaft because the cam will engage the inside of the brake pad and the sharp edges of the pad (on the inside) will gouge your discs. Also, the Rampage has always has really strong braking. It doesn't take a high end servo to slam on the brakes. I ended up epoxying 3 brake discs together as a single brake disc and removing one of the brake pads. The braking is much smoother now and still has enough grab to lock if you want it to.

i know this is a very old post...but the pics are not showing up...so i see nothing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts