• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Air leak

Kaz the Minotaur

So I think I have an air leak...

I was running this evening and sometimes it would die out at idle. I would start it right back up. After the third time I figured something wasn't right. I got home and blew all the dust and dirt off. I ran it a bit more in my yard and it seemed to be running stronger like when it leans out at the end of the gas tank. Back in the garage I let it idle and blew air around the carb. When I was blowing air on the carb right above the choke lever it would start do die out. The 4 screws holding the plate over the primer bulb were a wee bit loose but there wasn't any wet mess on the carb.

So I guess that the carb gasket is leaking. I'll scrape it off tomorrow and make a new one with high temp gasket maker.

I won't be able to run anyway since we will be getting hurricane Hanna remnants...

MOfroggy

I installed one of the teflon gaskets that DDM sells and I have had no problems on the carb side.

It may not be related but I did a complete overhaul of my engine and one of the things I did was put new fuel lines in all the way and I noticed "fuel splatter" that wasn't there before around the rubber piece that goes into the fuel tank. It was like fuel was leaking around the rubber insert for some reason.....it wasn't there before the new fuel line install.

Is a leak at this point of fuel delivery a possible "air leak" that will cause starting problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaz the Minotaur

I have fuel splatter from that rubber stopper also. I'll probably put some shoe goo over it until I get around to changing my fuel lines.

RampageHopUps

Redcat has some new style grommets in the works. I'll see if I can get some and let you guys know when they are in.

Timmahh

there is a hole on that side of the carb, its similar to a vent hole of some sort.

as i understand it, if you force air in that area, it will kill the motor i don't understand what exactly is going on, but understand it is pretty normal

ofcourse loose screws can cause an problem. tighten them up accordingly.

typical air leaks show them selves by Surging Rpms, inconsistant idle, and the Tell Tale sign at the top end of, ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WAS RUNNING LIKE A RAPED APE. lol

start the motor and then while runing, grab the airfilter housing, and try to gently move the carb around. not too much force, but enough to see if anything moves around.

to me it doesn't sound like a typical air leak. stalling when idleing is either a low idle adjustment, just turn the singel big screw in a bit and bring the idle up.

low idleing MAY also be a rich low needle.

turn the idle up first. if it is at max. give the LOW needle 1/32nd to 1/18th of a turn. the idle should come up a bit.

Kaz the Minotaur

OK. I had put it back together with RTV gasket maker instead of gaskets on the carb and brown insulator block. I think i will just wait until i get my new gaskets to run it.

Kaz the Minotaur

As much as I would love to it would be too difficult with my work schedule on Saturday.

I'm sure there would be lots of people to get tips from...and lots of people selling stuff.

One of these days...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts