• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

A newbie at Nitro trucks!

Hawkiryan7431

Hello anyone and everyone.. from sunny Southern California.. So I decided on getting into these Nitro trucks and picked up about 3 of them all 1/8 scale 2 RedCatRacing (Hurricane and Rampage) I have just started messing around and getting the adequate parts such as the glow plug igniter and even installed a few electronic starts or the ones you use a drill and the metal rod to start it.. (I don’t know very much as you can obviously see in my writing) anyways.. I am having difficulties starting these things? Should I take them to the local hobby shop and have them fine tune the trucks and break them in or is it better I keep trying as I am following the directions to a tee but I can’t even get any of these to turn over and it’s getting frustrating..is this usual for beginners and is there better ways or gadgets I can purchase for an easier start? I mean I am trying to get the nitro pumped in the engine and doing what I can but it’s a SOB! I hope I didn’t go wrong as the electric trucks are cool but there’s nothing like hearing these engines roar and feels more realistic to me.. my opinion of course! Any information from anyone would be grateful and appreciated on how to get these bad boys going!

Wayne

Hello anyone and everyone.. from sunny Southern California.. So I decided on getting into these Nitro trucks and picked up about 3 of them all 1/8 scale 2 RedCatRacing (Hurricane and Rampage) I have just started messing around and getting the adequate parts such as the glow plug igniter and even installed a few electronic starts or the ones you use a drill and the metal rod to start it.. (I don’t know very much as you can obviously see in my writing) anyways.. I am having difficulties starting these things? Should I take them to the local hobby shop and have them fine tune the trucks and break them in or is it better I keep trying as I am following the directions to a tee but I can’t even get any of these to turn over and it’s getting frustrating..is this usual for beginners and is there better ways or gadgets I can purchase for an easier start? I mean I am trying to get the nitro pumped in the engine and doing what I can but it’s a SOB! I hope I didn’t go wrong as the electric trucks are cool but there’s nothing like hearing these engines roar and feels more realistic to me.. my opinion of course! Any information from anyone would be grateful and appreciated on how to get these bad boys going!
To prime the engine, cover the hole on the exhaust pipe and turn the engine. Use the pull string, rotor starter, or starting box to slowly turn the engine over. Do not heat the glow plug when doing this. When you turn the engine over you should see fuel in the fuel line coming from the fuel tank and moving to the throttle. Once the fuel reaches the throttle, remove your finger from the exhaust pipe, connect/heat your glow plug, and start the vehicle. If the carburetor needles(high, low, and idle) are set correctly and there are no air leaks, it should start. When priming be sure to stop once fuel reaches the carburetor, nitro engines flood easily. If possible find someone with experience to show and help you once or twice. You will see it is not that difficult. You may even want to take it by your LHS for a quick tutorial. Some vehicles have a primer pump on the fuel tank that you can use to pump the fuel to the throttle. You can also purchase a fuel line pump with or without filter to do the same. The common and more difficult problem is carburetor needle adjustment. When using a fuel tank or fuel line pump there is no need to cover the exhaust pipe. You also want to make sure your glow plug is not bad.

Hawkiryan7431

Thanks a ton! I appreciate it I have gotten some gas in the lines by what you told me to do however the pull start is jammed now? It won’t even move so I have no clue. I do have a starter box but for some reason that isn’t working either as I am using the correct batteries for it but it won’t even power on

Wayne

Thanks a ton! I appreciate it I have gotten some gas in the lines by what you told me to do however the pull start is jammed now? It won’t even move so I have no clue. I do have a starter box but for some reason that isn’t working either as I am using the correct batteries for it but it won’t even power on
The string in the pull start may be jammed. There is also a one way bearing in the pull start. Try removing the pull start. It is simple, there are probably three small screws securing it to the rear of the engine. Be careful because there is probably a small spring in the center that fits inside the one way bearing. Once you remove the pull start you may be able to unjam it by pulling the string and letting it rewind on it's own. If you remove the pull start use some WD40 to clean the in and outside of the one way bearing and the drive shaft were the bearing is mounted. Your one way bearing has small ball bearing inside that may have debris in them causing your problem. The removal of the pull start should be simple but you may want to ask someone with some experience to help you try to get the engine to start. Your LHS probably will probably be more than willing because you are a future customer. You have to at minum purchase gas and glow plugs in the future. Don't give up. Remote control vehicles are an extremely fun hobby that does have a learning curve. I think the gas vehicles are a little more complicated but the electric vehicles also have a learning curve and you can have problems with them if the motors, batteries, gearing, and ESP are not matched properly. Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.