• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

54mm clutch and choices

phreerider

XB stock clutch stock and springs (assuming they are 6k) lasted about 125+ hours of operation.

i thought this was decent service out of stock goods..

fresh clutch w/ 8k spring barely made it 30hours.

the shoe make up is same, can't be that much different, but the spring combo is out. the engagement did give it a better jump at the bottom but man it eats it up! definitely rather have 6k springs.

they failed in the same manner, spring snapped and then they flywheel the whole drive train.

the stock started spittin metal about 125 hours and the spring broke shortly after that. the replacement was nothing but dust after every session around 20 hours saw a few sparks and with in 2-3hours spring broke.

what clutch service times have you guys experienced? both stock and hi rev engagement. thanks

phreerider

and here's and idea ... slight veer

i am considering setting up a 78mm clutch set up, i really like the 460 and want an more clutch to go with it. SKopod has a some stuff but, the motor is abit too much.

trying to work with the drive line (MT) but could go another direction, rotate platform maybe?, the belt thing seems easiest.

looking to see if anything is out there before custom DIY takes over

G

There are some nice 3 & 4 shoe set-ups out there. I have yet to try one so I can't speak on their durability. Hopefully someone who uses them could chime in. I know most guys use the 54mm clutch on the high hp engines including the twins.

Heat is a clutch an spring killer. Once a clutch gets too hot, it goes bad quick.

BertR

How often do you use the XB as a tugboat for your longboard? I am thinking that the 8k setup will slip due to drag/load on the motor not being able to hit the spec RPM's. is it possible that the 6k setup plants better to the clutch bell due to softer spring once it has achived max spread 8-8500 rpm. This is just a thought I had! .I don't have much issues with the 8k if I stay away from the sand lol. Sand will kill pads in a hurry. Never the less if you can go with a 3 or 4 shoe clutch ...Go for it and report the findings of durability to the forum.

phreerider

well the lauterbach 4 may be ticket with a new mill. gonna go back on the 6k spring for a decent series of clutch and see.

engagement with the 8k is great for full bore bash 1/2 throttle and higher, love it ,, it totalyl gets up and rocks wicked out , damn like leaping gokarts! but for reasonable tow and cruise 1/2 throttle and below its not so good ...just too much partial engagement, damn sure picked up the pace on the tow!

and i just swapped out 9k springs to 6k on a 460 stand up scooter and totally smoothed it out...it used to be full rip on! or coast not much in between.

the snap is nice on the launch for bash and definitely will miss it ...if i did more bash i would prolly do 9-10k springs.

phreerider

yeah bertR, i like the early solid engagement and ease thru the throttle up to speed. it locks up at the top of the low speed jet (actually feel the drive-train flywheeling) and i throttle thru that til the hi speed jet hits and then hang there for power band use. the 8k would not lock up at the low speed jet ....pretty much hi jet or it just fried the shoes in partial.

Wayne

I tried the Lauterbach 4 shoe clutch on the Rampage XB with the stock engine and was extremely disappointed on how quickly the shoes wore out. I went through three sets of shoes adjusting the spring tension in an attempt to find the correct setting. None of the shoes I used lasted a full gallon of gas.

phreerider

Thanks wayne for the experience. definitely a tedious device the lauter, seems adjusting it IS the issue from what i have read. i suspect its a narrow sweet spot for sure. if i went with it i prolly would have to have a fresh bell. for my needs early full engagement is the ticket, stock lasted somewhere around 250 tanks!

phreerider

Swapped fresh 54mm clutch +6k spring thanks DAD! at RC pitstop!.. and perfect early solid grip for tow, though a slight lag on the bash rev...we'll see if it last longer with 6k spring.

DemonRC

Lauterbacher is a hit and miss. I've seen guys destroy a set of shoes in one tank while me and a few others actually save money over buying stock shoes. It's all in the setup. I threw mine right in and never ever adjusted it and shoes last forever.

phreerider

DemonRC said:
Lauterbacher is a hit and miss. I've seen guys destroy a set of shoes in one tank while me and a few others actually save money over buying stock shoes. It's all in the setup. I threw mine right in and never ever adjusted it and shoes last forever.
just looking at the device tells me its sensitive, too tight and you will eat it up!

success with stock has been beyond my expectations. the 8k spring was actually nice for bash and really "jumps" to speed with power early...which has lead me to realize i need TWO platforms , a tow set up AND bash set up..and those are my problems. another XB or MT ??

phreerider

RampageHopUps said:
If the clutchbell is glazed, you will also wear the shoes faster and get lousy performance.
my first fear when i started the tow thing, but did not seem an issue. definitely could see it happening esp. on the starts if you wailed on it.. it would not take long! starts are more about using the weight of the unit v. just raw power. hoping for around 80-100hours on stock. i am trying to get to swap cycle BEFORE spring breaks AND shoe surface is gone...it is definitely LESS THAN 125hours. i think if i just bashed or raced could easily be twice that if not way more. the anti-glazing advice falls into throttle use, NOT ABUSE.

phreerider

smells like the heat got the clutch bell, damn...need fresh clutch bell.

heat checked for sure, for the weight consideration still looking for 78mm bell and shaft set up to swap

whats the deal with the clutch bell thing "V3 only" how can they be different?

same mill + MT gear plate...they would ALL be the same right ?

G

whats the deal with the clutch bell thing "V3 only" how can they be different?same mill + MT gear plate...they would ALL be the same right ?
It is the shaft style that is different. Square drive mounts vs. the 4pin style. The gear plates for each are different at the 4pin shafts are shorter.

G

It's 50029N.

The V3 MT is now square drive again. Kinda confusing.

phreerider

gotcha , confusion--> the perfect state.

the quick release of the 8k spring may offer better cooling..just have to ride at higher speed consistently .i'll get it worked out and trying to squeeze in some bashing...

maybe a DR with 78mm clutch and + gearplate mod???hmm my 460 is gonna do this tow job with less complaints, though the XB has done better than i thought it would.

thanks!

ika

Is it good idea to polish clutch bell inner surface or it must have some roughness ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts