• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

4 wheel disc brakes?

kryptonite

i want to put 4 wheel disc brakes on my mt5 build. i used to run integy front disc brakes on my 5b wich the disc mounts on the 24mm hex, but im wondering how to mount the caliber onto the hubs.. i don't have pic or anything to go off of to see how it could be mounted. im aware that i will need to run at least a 350oz throttle/brake servo, but i will worry about that then.. any ideas or pics of a 5b set-up?

hamster huey

Maybe if you did 4 wheel disc brakes you could also put in a center diff. The solid center diff now needs to be the way it is now to hold brakes. If your 4 wheel brake idea works maybe you could get a real fluid filled diff in the center. I bet Monster Big Truck would drive alot better.

kryptonite

huey. the center diff is perfect, but more then i can handle. we all ready have 4 wheel braking. but when you put the brakes on the wheels it will react alot diffrent. less chassis roll on hard corners and just more level braking. im definatly going to do this after i get my mt on-road all done. it will be my second order. i wish i didnt have to use integy, couse they really rub me the wrong way, but its the cheapest around for this experament.. a pink on-road mt with 4 wheel disc brakes is way over the top.. coming soon!!

hamster huey

The current center diff might be perfect for you but not for me. I like tuneable fluid filled diffs with better driveablity. Plus the front and rear end would not be locked together. I wish I new of one for the Rampage. I would do your idea plus the fluid filled center diff. A true differntial would allow both output shafts to spin at different speeds so the Ramp does not really have a true center diff if its locked.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
, but i can't really see the point unless you want to bias front and rear independently. the rampage brakes work awesome compared to many other stock brakes.
your right moo. the stock brakes work super well. im still pondering the point of this. adjusting 4wheel cable brakes is nothing short of a nightmare. getting all 4 to grab evenly is not fun and takes alot of time, not to mention adding a 3rd servo becouse i want rear discs as well. the only real motive that i could come up with is that it is just freakin cool to have disc brakes on an on-road mt. hydro's are over my budget. mounting the master cylander and duall servos would take some fab work that im not willing to do

hamster huey said:
The current center diff might be perfect for you but not for me. I like tuneable fluid filled diffs with better driveablity. the Ramp does not really have a true center diff if its locked.
hamster. im not really fond of what is refered to as the center diff. as you state. its not a diff at all. i was always used to tuning the center diff in my 4wd nitro truggies, and was thrown off by the redcat set-up. does mcd use a center diff? adding a center diff would bring our rigs to a hole new level, but is the engineering worth it? probly as an upgrade. im not really familur with other 4wd 5th scale set-ups, so i don't now if any other manufactorer uses them.

hamster huey

I am looking into if the front or rear diffs can be adapted to the center. But then I will have to use your 4 wheel brake idea unless I can figure out a way to put breaks on the new center diff or the center driveshaft itself.

deathrowtoll

Guys,

A friend of mine in Germany adapted the MCD center diff to his TT5 buggy. There are a couple of different center diffs available from MCD. He went with the newer more expensive diff which is an improved version of the original. he had to buy the Center diff, the center front and back MCD shafts and also had to fabricate the center diff mount as neither the Rampage or the MCD center mounts worked. So after 350.00 dollars, some parts manufacturing, he had a real (as far as he was concerned) center diff. It made his car work better, it was more consistent, but in the final analysis he spent 350.00 dollars and several hours of time, to gain .5 second of time per lap. He felt it was worthed as he is a very competitive racer and wanted to prove the TT5 could compete with the MCDs, I am not so sure I would consider it as good of an option, but it does work.

DRT.

LongShank

hey krypto,

that center diff idea is a great idea. i am thinking of doing that with my conversion ramp. i found this from a nutech.

15viscousdiff.jpg

hamster huey

Kryptonite, you had an idea for a center diff too? What was it? Was it better than my idea of adapting the current front or rear to the center or finding one that would fit? I still think your brake idea is good so I adapted it to only 2 pad setups/2 rotors would be needed- one on the front dirveshaft and one on the rear driveshaft. With my center diff idea the front and rear are not connected to each other so you can have independent front and rear brake with only 2 pad setups/2 rotors (instead of the 4-one at each wheel). And Im still working on it. Deathrowtull if I can get it to work this way it would be way less than $350. Obeast I sold my baja SS to buy my 2nd ramp so I cant try that diff idea plus the case probably would be further away from the stock center mounts than the redcat diff we already have. So far I need to make the mounts works, brake mounts, servo mount, counter sink holes for the new diff mount, and find 2 correct length drive shafts.

Renix

Did anyone really answer this question before going on a tangent about differentials. I would like to put disks on my MT and keep the 22 mm hub and big MT tires.

alfred e numan

still kicken--

been busy- bought a big home up in central, wa. about the brakes on the cats-- with no center diff the cars under braking sorta-kinda act as if they have brakes on all 4s.-- what you all can do to tune the braking action to your liking -- down on the brake assembly - use a piece of silicone tubing instead of the spring on the break lever - the one that the throttel servo wire goes tru the looped hole on the brake lever--tune by the o.d. of the hose- with silicone tubing, you can slice it leingth wise to soften the braking action, and increase or decrease the leverage on the wire with the loop on one end by adjusting how long or short it is from its piviot poing on the break assembly--- hope this is somewhat understandable-- pardon the spelling-- d.b.---- yea, use flat washers on the ends of the tubing helps also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.