• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

3d Printed parts

TheCount

I just got my new 3D printer up & running.

One of the 1st things i made was a custom battery box for my MT, it fits where the front roll cage cross brace was. Over the steering.

Once i learn 3d CAD i will make some more custom parts to try out. I'm thinking full plastic sand paddle wheels for my D/R.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stygian

Banned
Lol I've been wanting a 3d printer still need to convince the wife they are useful

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Stygian

Banned
TheCount said:
The 1st thing i printed was a love heart key ring for my GF. lol.
ROFL good call, what brand did you get, I have only researched the ultimaker or how ever it's spelled

TheCount

It's called a " Duplicator 3 " chinese knock off of a Makerbot Replicator. It can do 2 colours.

Absolutely LOVING it.

It takes time though. The battery box took over 3hours to print on the 2nd best quality with 50 % fill.

I made a survival knife for a guy at work, it took 5 hours on the best quality 100% fill.

TheCount

Here's a pic of the printer & completed battery box

battery box 001.jpg

battery box 003.jpg

battery box 001.jpg

battery box 003.jpg

/monthly_2013_07/583c60699cbff_batterybox001.jpg.b893afdddf66ecfd8cf08e3f0318f25c.jpg

/monthly_2013_07/583c60699e8f3_batterybox003.jpg.21e4b9bea39f184443cae1df7722626c.jpg

TheCount

I did some quick measurements, & wheels will be a bit smaller than std due to build space restrictions.

can some one measure some BAJA wheels for height & get back to me. my D/R wheels look to be about 170mm tall. 150mm is my max.

Blackout

Nice work, that's exactly where I have my hump pack since there's so much wiring in the stock radio box.

TheCount

I found a guy 5 mins from my house that has been mucking around with these for over a year. He sells do it yourself kits & the rolls of plastic.

He's interested in making a much bigger unit from scratch, bigger parts may be in the future.

bigfol

TheCount said:
I found a guy 5 mins from my house that has been mucking around with these for over a year. He sells do it yourself kits & the rolls of plastic.He's interested in making a much bigger unit from scratch, bigger parts may be in the future.
That's an awesome bit of kit....

kur

That's pretty cool!

My question though is what is the durability of that plastic? Can you print with other types of plastic or dare I say, nylon? It would be VERY nice to have an "RPM like" option for control arms, bumpers, etc..

TheCount

kur said:
That's pretty cool! My question though is what is the durability of that plastic? Can you print with other types of plastic or dare I say, nylon? It would be VERY nice to have an "RPM like" option for control arms, bumpers, etc..
Yes I have printed with nylon, the battery box I printed for my MT broke . So I made one from nylon. It's much stronger & can be dyed any colour u want

kur

TheCount said:
Yes I have printed with nylon, the battery box I printed for my MT broke . So I made one from nylon. It's much stronger & can be dyed any colour u want
I would be VERY interested in seeing a set of arms made out of the nylon and tested for strength/flexibility and compared to a set of rpm baja arms. If it was anywhere close I'm sure you could probably make a decent profit selling arms, bumpers, cages, etc. to all the redcat owners out there.. provided the material cost isn't that high of course..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.