• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

1 speed vs 2 speed?

machinebike

Does that 2 speed trans have a high gear equivalent like the single speed?

If it does, how can it be faster/better?

Can the gears be changed in the two speed trans to make it go faster than the single speed?

Ice_2k

A 2 speed tranny has two ratios, a 1 speed has a single, fixed, ratio. Usually, for an all-around better performance, you would get a 2 speed tranny with a higher ratio on the 1st gear compared to the standard single gear (giving you more torque) and a lower ration on the 2nd gear compared to the standard single gear (giving you more speed). This way, you launch harder than before and, after shifting into 2nd gear, reaching higher top speed than before.

If you're looking for insane speed, you can get the 1st gear with a lower ratio than the standard single gear and the 2st gear with an even lower ratio. Same for insane torque, but in that case you're looking for higher ratios.

machinebike

Ice_2k said:
A 2 speed tranny has two ratios, a 1 speed has a single, fixed, ratio. Usually, for an all-around better performance, you would get a 2 speed tranny with a higher ratio on the 1st gear compared to the standard single gear (giving you more torque) and a lower ration on the 2nd gear compared to the standard single gear (giving you more speed). This way, you launch harder than before and, after shifting into 2nd gear, reaching higher top speed than before.If you're looking for insane speed, you can get the 1st gear with a lower ratio than the standard single gear and the 2st gear with an even lower ratio. Same for insane torque, but in that case you're looking for higher ratios.
are you familar with the 2 speed trans as a hop up for the Redcat MT?

I noticed the MT seems sluggish when first taking off.

Id like to see it have more torque or power at take off.

Do they sell the 2 speed tranny for with more torque at take off?

Do you have to compromise the top end in order to have more lower end torque?

thanks

Ice_2k

There was a good 2-speed from demonrc, but unfortunately they seem to be out of bussiness. There is a chinese clone available but reliability might be an issue. If your MT is stock, there are a few things you can do before getting to a 2-speed. An 8k clutch will help with launching power and a tuned exhaust (e.g. Jetpro) will raise the power output considerably.

machinebike

Ice_2k said:
There was a good 2-speed from demonrc, but unfortunately they seem to be out of bussiness. There is a chinese clone available but reliability might be an issue. If your MT is stock, there are a few things you can do before getting to a 2-speed. An 8k clutch will help with launching power and a tuned exhaust (e.g. Jetpro) will raise the power output considerably.
an 8k clutch....is this more teeth to enable more torque at take off?

If so, will this cause the top end to starve even with a modified exhaust?

rroberson7805

I just bought the Chinese one and have not gotten to try it out yet because the one way bearing was pressed into the gear backwards from the factory (I am waiting on my free replacement to come in the mail any day now) and you can choose your own gear ratio when ordering these. Seemed great when I installed it and it's a lot like the demon rc. Once I get that one way bearing I will be able to tell everyone about the performance. I ordered another set of gears also for high top end speed. View attachment 7861

uploadfromtaptalk1443833253954.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443833253954.jpg

/monthly_2015_10/uploadfromtaptalk1443833253954.jpg.bd81973c457bc5b0c71b05b153492fbc.jpg

andyken

machinebike said:
an 8k clutch....is this more teeth to enable more torque at take off?If so, will this cause the top end to starve even with a modified exhaust?
The 8k clutch means it engages at 8000 rpm, stock clutch is like 6000 rpm.

So the engine winds up more before moving.

machinebike

andyken said:
The 8k clutch means it engages at 8000 rpm, stock clutch is like 6000 rpm.So the engine winds up more before moving.
Thanks for clearing that up.

machinebike

rroberson7805 said:
I just bought the Chinese one and have not gotten to try it out yet because the one way bearing was pressed into the gear backwards from the factory (I am waiting on my free replacement to come in the mail any day now) and you can choose your own gear ratio when ordering these. Seemed great when I installed it and it's a lot like the demon rc. Once I get that one way bearing I will be able to tell everyone about the performance. I ordered another set of gears also for high top end speed. View attachment 7861
Please keep us informed.

If I went with the red cat MT and ordered the 2 speed, I'm still trying to understand how the teeth set up works on the gears.

Clutch bell stock gear is...?

The gear that the clutch bell gear connects to is...?

vs

The two gears the two clutch bell gears connect to are...?

I cant believe how confusing this is.

Last edited by a moderator:

rroberson7805

Will do. It is taking some time to get the right one way bearing from Hong Kong but the transmission was only $180 shipped. View attachment 7863

uploadfromtaptalk1443860846506.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1443860846506.jpg

/monthly_2015_10/uploadfromtaptalk1443860846506.jpg.c51107f8e4b9d95ecbeabcca8ba86de8.jpg

machinebike

rroberson7805 said:
Will do. It is taking some time to get the right one way bearing from Hong Kong but the transmission was only $180 shipped. View attachment 7863
Cant find a one way bearing at an on line bearing shop?

Does the bell housing gear stay as one , or is it two bell housing gears?

rroberson7805

I'm not going to buy one when it was manufacturer fault, they are replacing it free and it's 2 bell housing gears. If they would have seid they were not replacing it I would have just bought one to make it work. The bearing is machine pressed but when I get home I'm going to try and get it out turn it around with sockets and dead blow, someone on here told me about it but have been out of town working a lot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.