• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

1/8 Buggy look on the TT Project

DemonRC

I'm about to start up a new project and try to give the TT a more sleek 1/8 buggy top. I'm going to start running Baja front rims on all 4 corners soon and this would complete the styling for it. This is something just in my head right now but I think I'm going to start hacking at some chromoly this weekend. Hopefully I can get some pictures up within a few weeks. Anyways, I wanted to get some feedback on this before I start. Here''s the look I'm hoping for:

UltraLX1e-1A.jpg

The problem with the TT shell is that the roof is way to high because it has to clear the spark plug. It actually adds alot more space because it has to provide a buffer to protect the plug from a room landing. What I'm going to try to do is build a chromoly cage that hugs the engine. ACtually from my measurements if the bottom of the 3/8" tube is 3/8" off the engine, then the top would be close enough to the top of the spark plug where my Modified RC roof scoop will clear it by 3/16". The front of the body will also be higher so the contour from the front hood area to the window to the roof will be much more stream lined. 3/8" chromoly will be used for the main part of the cage and I will use 1/4" chromoly for the sides and cross beams.

After the cage is done, I'm going to skin it up and fiberglass it. The trick is going to be how do you keep the fiberglass from sticking to the roll cage? Basically the roll cage is a frame and now we need a skin. I've used spandex in the past when building custom subwoofer boxes to stretch skins over contoured frames for fiberglassing. I might use it here but I was actually thinking about trying RC plane heatshrink. I'll then create a mold for it so I can knock out a new shell anytime I ever smash this one up. I just wanted the ability to be able to spend less than $15 to replace a shell whenever I broke one. It should be pretty tough since it will hug the chromoly rollcage underneath it. The ideal situation would be to take the original used to creat the mold somewhere and have a lexan shell vacuum formed.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlvaSpeed

The closer you are going to get is looking like a MCD Race Runner shell.

But maybe you will come with a fresh idea.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck.

mooky

Contributor
i run the old style mcd shell they look nice but teh only way to cut down the height is to lay down the motor, cmon cat you know ya wanna try it!!!!!!!!! :p

DemonRC

Actually I'm going to make the roof lower than the top of the plug. I'll probably do a double rollbar over the plug like VG does with their Baja rollcage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts